Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fighting for Daisy*

She has nowhere to go — she was duped into coming to Nairobi. She left her home far from here on the promise that she would be placed in a good school; instead, she ended up forced into serving as house help in an abusive home. So, Daisy (not her real name) runs away to the streets of Nairobi. The local police pick her up and take her to the police station where she is safe, presumably, as they seek to find a place for her to stay. Instead, the officers on duty hold Daisy at the station for four days and one officer repeatedly sexually abuses her while she is detained. The four other police officers on duty do nothing to stop the abuse.

Daisy is eight years old.

We at IJM Kenya found out about Daisy’s case not long after she was “released” from police custody. We have since made it our passion to see that Daisy gets justice: that her abuser(s) goes to jail for what he has done to her, and that she gets the counseling she needs so that she can heal from the pain she has suffered. The path to justice in this case is not without its challenges, however, so please pray for Daisy as she presses on in the face of the incredible suffering she has undergone. Please also pray for us at IJM Kenya as we endeavor to ensure that those responsible for Daisy’s suffering are held accountable for their actions.

It has now been one month since we arrived in Nairobi. Time sure is flying by. Even in the down times, God has been faithful and good. And He’s been good to me in ways that show me He knows me intimately. This may sound really simple (or even heretical to some of you super-spiritual folks ☺) but on two separate really hard moments early on, I was sitting in a taxi and close to despair. Yet, in the middle of Nairobi, Kenya, our God sent me as a pick-me-up (on Kenyan radio, mind you) two great songs: Kenny Rogers’ “Coward of the County” on one occasion, and “Wish You Were Here,” my favorite Pink Floyd song, on another occasion. Now, if you want to debate whether or not our Holy God would send me a Pink Floyd song, go for it; I just know it really brightened my day when I needed it. I chalked it up to Him!

Overall, I am loving it here. The work is eminently fulfilling and I feel like I can make a real difference in the lives of these real people who have suffered real injustices (all because you have sent me here). And, I want to say that I could not be more impressed with the people that I am working with. In addition to one other North American, my co-workers are composed of fifteen Kenyans (lawyers, investigators, counselors, administrators, etc.) and they are some of the most passionate, intelligent, hard-working, and faithful people I have ever met. I am so blessed to be a part of this team, and I am learning so much about what it means to be an advocate for individuals who have suffered more than we could ever know. Please pray for the staff, that they would continue to have the strength and vision to carry the individual causes of justice daily.

Our family is doing very well also. Caleb began cub scouts last week. He’s a Tiger Cub, and got a cool Kenya patch which will make all the kids back home in the states jealous when we return. In Unicorn Preschool, Abigail is learning to write her letters and her name, and she’s very excited about it — she shows me her work every day when I come home. Luke is also doing well — he is definitely the monkey of our kids. The maintenance man of the complex recently built a gate on our stairs so that monkey-boy would not climb the stairs anymore and risk a tumble. Luke’s going to be an athlete. That’s my boy!

Anna is also acclimating well. She’s grown more comfortable driving to the grocery store and to Caleb’s school, which makes it much easier for her and Abigail to connect with other moms and kids during the day. She has more and more “playdates” on the calendar, it seems. We hope to get a date night sometime next week, as a coworker from the office has been offering to babysit.

That’s about it for now. Please continue to pray for our health, as we’ve all suffered a little gastro-intestinally recently. Please also pray for Daisy, as noted above. This case has hit me more than any other thus far. Finally, please pray for Kenya, as there is much suffering country-wide right now with regards to famine and drought.

Thank you and know that we miss you.

Peace,
Lane

1 comment:

vicky porterfield said...

Lane and Anna, Wow! This is the first day I have sat down and read your entire blog. What an adventure. Who knows? Maybe you will stay more than a year.To use your gifts and talents to aid the helpless is awesome. And not only will you touch others, you will become the most changed as you serve and carry the banner of Christ.
John and I are starting our 4th year in Israel. We are still Americans and love our churches, friends and family in Texas. But the one thing we have realized is that we do not think like Americans anymore... God has given us an international perspective. Our travels and being in the center of the world contribute to that. Although we will return to Austin, we are forever changed. And I pray the same for you too...forever changed by His wisdom and mercy and grace.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails