by Lane
Here’s something I think I have discovered about myself in my time here: I have always thought that I had a heart for the poor, but I am not sure that’s the case. I have worked with the homeless and kids in public housing communities in Austin, and served desperately poor people while on mission trips to other countries, etc. But, what has struck me here as I daily pass one particular homeless Kenyan woman named Rosegaitha (whom I generally talk with briefly) is this: I’ve come to think that what I had thought was a “heart for the poor” was really just I that am quicker with offering platitudes and friendliness to the poor and homeless than many others. Now, this is not a bad thing (and often just what someone who is an “outcast” desires – a friendly word – I think Rosegaitha is this way, as everyone laughs at her, and me, when I talk with her) but it often doesn’t go very far toward meeting their real needs. Jesus offered more. And James (who wrote my favorite book of the Bible) says the same: “Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him: ‘Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,’ but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” – James 2:15-17.
So, convicted of this as I walked by Rosegaitha every day, I started to look for ways I could do more than just offer her platitudes. One day, I had on a Dora the Explorer band-aid (Abigail fetched it for me after I had cut myself — a dad’s got to keep it on once his daughter puts it on him, right?) and Rosegaitha noticed. She then showed me a cut she had on her finger and asked if I had any more band-aids. I didn’t have any more on me, but it gave me my means of meeting a physical need of hers (she has never asked me for money, which is VERY rare here). So, a few days later, on my walk in I handed her a bag of band-aids (NOT Dora band-aids; Abigail would have been very upset with me), some antibiotic cream, and some money. She was extremely appreciative, and continues to be so every day that I see and talk with her. I do not say all this to preach, but just to convey something about how God is sharpening and teaching me here, by teaching me to put more “legs” onto my faith. I think He would have that from all of us.
1 comment:
Great post, Lane. And an excellent reminder that it can take so little to make a difference in someone else's day.
Post a Comment